8.02.2009

What do you recommend?

You, my dear blogging friends, are some of the most well read people I know. Please help.

Do you have a favorite book from elementary school? What books would you encourage a group of 2nd-4th grade girls to read? The possibilities are endless, really, but I'd love to know what you think!

7 comments:

David Pritchard said...

My favorite book in 3rd or 4th grade was "The Phantom Tollbooth"

Beth said...

I can't remember exactly what I was reading at those ages, but I do remember loving the Nate the Great detective series (the books might be a little young for the girls) and/or anything by Roald Dahl.

I do remember reading Where the Red Fern growns in 5th grade in class, and it's still one of my favorites to reread.

Carr Family said...

3rd Grade- Matchlock Gun; Sarah Plain and Tall; The Cabin Faced West
4th Grade - All of a Kind Family; Gone Away Lake; The Seventeenth Swap

I LOVED Phantom Tollbooth, but the curriculum we use puts it as a 6th grade reader. Excellent book, but might be a little too advanced. My kids have also enjoyed the Magic Tree House books at that age, but I'm not sure I'd list them as classics. =)

Rick said...

The Bird Book, by Ricky

Marilyn said...

What a great question! Here's a few that I loved and remember reading or having read to me during my elem years...or ones that I read to my classes when I was teaching:
Strawberry Girl
The 100 Dresses
Ginger Pye
The Little House series
Sarah, Plain and Tall
The Littles
Amelia Bedelia
Molly's Pilgrim
Mr. Popper's Penguins
The Boxcar Children
Nate the Great
Tacky the Penguin

Makes me want to go grab a book and curl up on this rainy day. But, alas, my kids are almost finished breakfast and the day must begin! :-)

Stacey said...

I've recently discovered the Melendy Quartet - a series of 4 books by Elizabeth Enright, written in the 40's...I'm reading the first one now (The Saturdays)and can't wait to pass it on to Caleb (3rd)! will be challenging, but he's good for it!

Embrace the Circus said...

Hey! I remember reading "The Bird Book" by Ricky, which is obviously exceptional. (Granted, I wasn't in 2nd grade...)

My head has been spinning with this question. I have a hard time remembers what books get read when.

But I can also recommend "All of a Kind Family. " -- I just loved that book. Also, the "shoe" books by Noel Streatfeild (Ballet Shoes, Tennis Shoes, Skating Shoes, etc.). And how old are kids who read "Tuck Everlasting"? Older, I think...