2.17.2008

The Goal of Parenting

This morning I was not feeling well and stayed home from church. For three quiet hours I read, thought and worked on my proverbs study. As I was doing some research for the proverbs study, I came across this interview of author Mary E. DeMuth (you can get to it by going to her blog here). I was especially interested because her book, Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture, is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Her words caught my interest and I found myself connecting with what she had to say.

Mary talks about the ideas in her book, Building the Christian Family You Never Had. It is true that I grew up in a christian home with Christ-loving parents. I have a solid foundation and Rick and I have spent much time thinking through ways to teach our children about God and help them fall in love with him. Still, many days I am so clueless as to what to do next. I often don't feel smart enough to be a parent. Mary's word brought me hope today.

Just past half-way of this interview, Mary spends a few minutes talking about the goal of parenting and inside out parenting, if you can only spend a short time listening, this is the section I recommend. The whole interview, however, is worth your time. Sorry I don't have a synopsis for you, there is no way I could do her words justice.

I'm now anxious to read her book. Maybe, I'll start it tonight.

2 comments:

Mary DeMuth said...

Paula,

How fun that you watched the interview. I'm humbled. Let me know what you think of the book.

Warmly,

Mary DeMuth

Embrace the Circus said...

Seriously, Paula, how many people have the author of a book they're excited to read comment on their blog? That doesn't happen to me! I'm already planning to buy the book, though -- the amazon listing really intruiged me. Hope you're feeling better!