Carrie, from Pine Meadow Farm, asked if I made the fabric nativity. While I would like to take credit, I cannot. This particular nativity set was made by the women of Elim Christian Center.
When we lived in Germany, many of us went back and forth to a little town in western Poland to buy pottery. Near there, was a little mission called Elim Christian Center. The people at Elim have a wonderful ministry to the poor families and disabled children in the surrounding areas. Local polish women working with ECC made these sets in a program that teaches local women usable skills in order to earn a little money.
Many from our military chapel helped with donations of food, clothing, medical supplies and various other needs. Some even helped with painting and clean up from time to time.
I love that these figures come from this part of my story. I also love the doll-like quality of this set and the fun my children have with them. I'm guessing some of you have sets just like this one. Do you love yours as much as I love my mine?
4 comments:
Paula,
I missed commenting on your Advent calendar post. We have a calendar that is a set of small booklets with a gold hanging cord. Each book tells a small portion of the Christmas story, to be read each night. Then we hang it on the tree as an ornament. Ellie is the designated reader this year.
My mother made my kids a soft sculpted Nativity set one year. They love playing with it and making all the characters ride in Santa's sleigh. :)
Hi Paula.
I was reading over your last few posts. I love the Jesse tree idea. Your nativity is just gorgeous. Blessings to you and thank you for praying. In God's Love, Tami
Funny how when you leave a place, you're suddenly aware of all the things you *should* have bought. I wish I'd gotten one of the Polish nativities. Kathleen would love it! We have a Willow Tree nativity, but we're still looking for a good, child-friendly set...
We have one, so glad we bought it! What a great memory and neat ministry opportunity!
Post a Comment