"You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus." -Luke
The advent season is here! Baking cookies, decorating the tree, stringing lights, drinking eggnog and peppermint mochas and yes, even wearing the Christmas sweaters... I love it all. I love the anticipation, the preparation, the getting ready.
Our family's favorite tradition is advent calendars. We have seven. Each is unique. Every morning we go from calendar to calendar moving the star or hanging the next ornament, anticipating the day of Jesus's Birthday.
The Jesse tree is the one we love the most. We save it for dinner or bedtime. The book, the Advent Jesse Tree (or this new one I just found), takes us slowly through the Old Testament. Day by day, through the month of December we are reminded of God's story and His plan to redeem us. This time each day slows us and turns our focus to Jesus, calling to us to see and hear this great big story that is also ours.
Check out Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway. We will be borrowing a few ideas from this calendar that is packed full of everything from crafts to readings to ways to reach out to your neighbors.
I know many of you already do the Jesse Tree with your family. Which tradition is your favorite? Do you have any new ideas?
1 comment:
Love the advent calendars! We have a Jesse Tree we use each year....very much apart of our family Christmas. We bowed to consumer-ism and bought a Playmobile Advent Calendar this year. It's my 7 and 4 year olds new craze. We don't usually get on the toy badnwagon but we so enjoy playing with playmobile...even me!
I think I wil kepp them for myself once they grow up...hehe.
Glad I came across your blog:o)
Post a Comment