1.20.2008

Some thoughts from out of the blue


Here are some thoughts that have been rolling around in my head, making their way to my heart: Fruit is not for the sake of the tree. The fruit is for the sake of those around the tree and more importantly, for the one who planted, watered, fertilized...not for the tree itself. Likewise, our spiritual fruit is not grown and produced to benefit us, but to show God's glory, the One who grows us and for those that He has placed around us.


My thinking sometimes looks like this: Succeeding in struggle gets me to the next level. When I've persevered long enough, with a good enough attitude, I pass the test, get my certificate and move onto the next level. Then somehow, because I am stronger, the next level should not be so difficult. The fruit of patience is a good example. When I am patient in my current situation long enough, I become defined as more patient and don't feel so impatience the next time around.

The truth is, so often, God is nothing more to me than a means to make my life easier, better. I work really hard to do my part, then am disappointed when God doesn't follow through on his part. In all that, I miss knowing God, glorifying him. Could knowing God's delight... enjoying the relationship that He started in me... wanting Him to be known... become more important to me than using him to make my life easier. In Heb. (7:19) God says that keeping the law to make everything nice and pretty has been replaced by something better, a better hope, the new covenant, by which we draw near to God.

I usually value what God gives more than God himself. I desire the Holy Spirit to produce his fruit in me so that I'm more comfortable, then walk away, rarely valuing that the Spirit, himself, has stooped to be involved with me.


It seems obvious doesn't it? Fruit is not for the sake of the tree. But it is so natural to think about me... to want to figure out how to be happier without effort... to take the Bible (and the fruit of the spirit) and pare it down to principles that enable me to live a happier life. And miss out on God himself.


Do these ideas resonate with anyone else? Does anyone else think like this? Am I a slow-learning?:) Okay don't answer that last question. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Edit: Does anyone know why these paragraphs looked completely normal on my preview and so weird here on the blog?

4 comments:

Erin said...

Confessions of a God-User:
Much of 2007 revealed a lot about my spiritual consumerism. I'm wondering how much more of this kind of selfish expectation is going to be revealed in 2008.
Guess we're about to find out, huh?

Nicole said...

Paula, thank you for your honest insight. I can always rely on you to put it like it is, from the heart. I have missed our coffee talks. As winter has set in here as well, have fun in the snow. May God grant us the desire to search Him more. Love Nicole

Carr Family said...

Paula,

I've enjoyed "catching up" with your family through your blog. Thank you for your honesty in sharing. It's given me much to think about as a mom, a wife and a woman who strives to be all God asks her to be (and in the striving sometimes misses the point!). May you have a restful evening with your precious family.

Blessings,
Amy Carr

Melissa said...

Hi... my name is Melissa Wellington, and well... normally I don't send messages to strangers, but nor do I read blogs of people I've never met. I am a college friend of Marie Childress and I was looking at some of her friends' blogs to get an idea for how to layout mine... I was browsing yours and I found myself intrigued by your posts... and encouraged and challenged as well. I found myself reading from one to the next as though I knew you... I guess it was just so refreshing to read your thoughts as you dig into the heart of God because your depth and creativity resonated with my spirit. It's been a while since I've talked with anyone who loves to delve into the beauty of Scripture in such a raw and real way... so anyway... I just wanted to introduce myself, and let you know that I'll probably come back and read more! :) But I wanted you to know, I'm not some crazy stalker! I'm a friend of a friend.

So...thanks for sharing. And I'm new to this thing, but you can check out my page if you'd like to see who the heck I am :)

-Melissa