11.22.2008

Book Club: Roxaboxen

Each month something wonderful happens around here - Book club!


Over the last year, our little group of 6 girls has read, thought, talked about and participated in unique activities involving the book of the month. Some of the books have been Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit, Molly's Pilgrim, The Christmas Day Cat, Betsy-Tacy, Rechenka's Egg, Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, The Gardener, A Little Princess... I know there are more and just can't think of them right now.

Roxaboxen was up this month. Emma and I have been reading this book for a few years, always grabbing it when we see it at the library. At first glance this is a book of neighborhood children from another era keeping themselves busy with imaginative community-building. But what I have really loved about this particular group of very experienced homeschooling moms is that they are not at all willing to settle for just reading a nice little story. (All together, these moms have 65 years of teaching experience - 1 year and 3 months of that experience belongs to me!:)) Every month we cover plot, setting, characters and theme. This seemed like a lot for my little kindergartener. I was wrong. As a first grader, Emma is able to identify just about all these areas in most of the books she reads. What I can't wait to see is how this will affect her ability to read the Bible as an older child.

So, Roxaboxen, a short picture book afforded us the opportunity to learn about the life of children in 1915, characteristics of the Arizona desert, understanding how a memoir is different from other types of non-fiction and how we can use our imagination to glorify God by doing the job He created us to do. We also studied the author, illustrator and little about folk art. That leaves the door wide open for me to cover many, many areas this month as we review.

I love homeschooling and am deeply thankful for the opportunity to teach my girl.


(Roxaboxen building in process)

No comments: